Friday, April 20, 2012

Eye? Who Needs An Eye?

Evelyn had her first semi-major accident on Friday, April 13th.  We were sitting on the couch with Jesse enjoying his day off when she grabbed for my glasses.  Now, most of the time, glasses are off limits.  They are too expensive to be toys for cute little ladies.  So I got her $1 Target bargain bin glasses from the car.  She wore them longer than she ever has, then went back to the bedroom to admire herself in the mirror.  When she returned she was rubbing her eye and crying. We figured she poked herself with the glasses and didn't think much about it after she stopped crying.  She would rub it and act like it hurt so I figured there must have been something in it.  Since Jesse and I both wear contacts there is always an abundance of contact solution in our house.  So I rinsed her eye out with it...she really didn't like that.  Once she calmed down I put her down for her nap thinking whatever it was would work its way out and when she woke up she'd be fine.  Not so.

During most of her naps she sleeps soundly, not waking for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.  This time however she would wake up crying every half hour or so.  This is when I started to worry.  I called Charlotte and asked when I should worry about eye problems.  She told me that if there was a red mark in the white area of the eye it's not that big of a deal but that if there are marks in the colored area then it can be more serious.

The next time she woke up I looked in her eye and thought I saw something on her pupil.  I looked at it two more times and sure enough there was a gash across the center of her eye.  I didn't know what to do and new the ER probably would have me see an ophthalmologist, so I called my friend Katrina who's husband, Jared, just so happens to be one.

He had just closed his office for the day and said he'd meet me there in 5 minutes.  He numbed her eye, looked at it, and said whatever she did to it she'd done a good job.  Jared wrote her a prescription for an antibiotic, set up a follow up appointment for Monday, and dilated her eye to help with the pain.  Since she'd scratched the clear layer off of her eye it couldn't focus and was constantly trying to do so, which in turn caused more pain.  The dilation would stop her eye muscles of contacting and trying to focus.  Worse case scenario was that her eye could scar and cause permanent vision problems.
 
 
 
She was a real trooper and did a good job with Dr. Hadlock.  Her eye stayed dilated until Sunday morning and she didn't fuss about it after he numbed it in the office. 

At our return visit on Monday Jared checked her eye and said it had healed.  If she'd been more cooperative he could have taken a better look, but from what he saw he said there was little to no scaring. 
We feel very blessed that it wasn't worse and are grateful that her eye healed so quickly.  I know that my Father in Heaven was looking out for her and guided us in our decisions.  We are very blessed!

2 comments:

  1. That is scary! Poor baby. When I was younger, my little sister and I were looking through some newspaper adds. She was trying to turn the page and accidentally paper-cut my eye. That was not fun at all, so I have full sympathy for little Evie. Glad she's all better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh she's so darn cute! I'm glad it's better. No fun having a hurt child. Still amazing you can put her on the counter to help you! You're so lucky she's so sweet. Jane is like a mini tornado I can't do anything with that girl.

    ReplyDelete